Resting within the heart of the Cairngorms National Park is Mar Lodge, a beautiful Victorian sporting lodge that has been carefully restored by the National Trust for Scotland to offer wonderful holiday accommodation amidst one of the country's most iconic landscapes. With eight properties in total across the estate, Mar Lodge is ideal for large family gatherings or celebrations, providing couples and small groups with a perfect country retreat too.
The picturesque lodge itself has been split into five luxuriously furnished apartments, including Dalvorar, Macdui, Braeriach, Derry and Bynack, whilst the remaining three, Claybokie, Garage Cottage and Creag Bhalg rest within a high-walled garden facing onto the river within the estate's pine woods. The main lodge is a true delight, with high ceilings, grand hallways and a fabulous billiards room, open to all apartments within the lodge at a small extra cost, the perfect space for socialising with your loved ones.
This prime Highland estate has been visited by nobility since the medieval period and is now recognised as one of Scotland's most important conservation sites, with ongoing preservation work to maintain the beauty of the ancient Caledonian pine forest and to protect the native wildlife. If you're seeking a holiday rich in breath-taking scenery and outdoor adventures, then Mar Lodge Estate is a superb choice.
Take walks through wooded glens, stroll alongside crystal clear burns and soak up the marvellous mountain scenery, with this estate being home to four of Britain's five highest mountains. Plenty of excitement can be had on a holiday here, with thrilling mountain-biking routes being perfect for adrenaline-seekers, the River Dee offering some of the best salmon fishing in the world, and classic sports like shooting and stalking being popular too. Head into the nearby village of Braemar for all your self-catering needs, home to a highly recommended local butcher, alongside some delightful cafés, shops and pubs to enjoy throughout your stay.
Attractions nearby include the Queen's Balmoral Castle and Estate, with royalty often visiting the area since the estate was purchased by Queen Victoria in 1848, you can now visit too and attend a fascinating guided tour. Less than fifteen miles away is the Glenshee Ski Centre offering 40km of pistes for skiing and snowboarding in the winter months, so you can find excitement here all-year-round!
History lovers will delight at the ease in which an array of wondrous NTS castles can be reached, including the fairytale delight of Craigievar Castle, Crathes Castle, home to diverse wildlife and an impressive interior, and Drum Castle, one of Scotland’s oldest tower houses, all just a scenic drive away. Enjoy the wonders of this location from the luxury and comfort of Mar Lodge Estate.
Situated amidst the Caledonia pine forest of the National Trust for Scotland’s Mar Lodge Estate, Claybokie is an exclusive hideaway in the Highlands, perfect for a family gathering in Scotland.
Furnished in classic antique style, with uninterrupted views across the River Dee and Glen Ey, this quaint lodge offers a quintessential country retreat in the stunning Cairngorms National Park.
Come together within the large dining room for family celebrations, where you can relish time together over a family feast before retiring to the sitting room.
Home to a rustic open fire and a smaller dining table, along with incredible views from the large windows of the river and mountains beyond, the living/dining room is the perfect social space.
Relax in the conservatory with a good book in hand, or make the most of the elegant study for a quiet moment to yourself.
A large kitchen boasts an impressive AGA range cooker, sure to please any cooking enthusiast, with more appliances found in the utility room, while the ground floor is completed by two handy cloakrooms.
Delight in finding a tranquil and opulent sleeping spot in the evening, with one of two double bedrooms enjoying its own en-suite shower room, and one of three twin bedrooms benefitting from an en-suite bathroom, whilst the remaining rooms are served by two spacious bathrooms, offering every guest an elegant space to prepare for the day.
Spend time with your loved ones at Claybokie amidst the beautiful setting of Mar Lodge Estate in Scotland.
Note: This property can be booked with Refs. 1060439, 1060441, 1060443, 1060444, 1060494, 1060500, together sleeping up to 55 guests.
- Five bedrooms: 1 x double with en-suite shower, basin and WC, 1 x double, 1 x twin with en-suite bath, handheld shower, basin and WC, 2 x twin
- Bathroom with bath, handheld shower, separate walk-in shower, basin and WC
- Bathroom with bath, handheld shower, basin and WC
- 2 x cloakroom with basin and WC
- Dining room
- Living/dining room with open fire
- Electric central heating with open fire
- AGA gas range cooker, microwave, fridge, freezer, washing machine, dishwasher
- TV, DVD player, CD player, radio, WiFi
- Fuel, power and starter pack for two fires inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Travel cot and highchair available on request
- Off-road parking outside property
- Shared garden with lawn, pond and seating
- Sorry, no pets and no smoking
- Shop and pub 4.1 miles
- Note: Children are welcome, although it should be noted that there is an ornamental pond and young children should not be left unattended
- Note: Two baskets of logs will be provided for the open fire and thereafter £10.00 per basket for further supplies
- Note: The stag ballroom, grand dining room, library and drawing room at Mar Lodge can be hired separately for private events – please contact the lodge for further details on +44 (0)13397 41276
- Note: Horse owners can bring their equine friends and take advantage of the horse B&B, for further details please contact the lodge on +44 (0)13397 41276
- Note: For larger groups, Garage Cottage sleeping four guests can be added to your booking for an additional charge, please call us for further information
- Note: Mar Lodge Ranger service runs a number of scheduled walks and events throughout the year- information on these can be found by visiting here
- Note: Please be aware there is livestock on the estate
- Note: The opening times, visitor facilities and entry prices of all National Trust for Scotland properties and attractions can be viewed on their website here
About the location
Ballater 17 miles; Aberdeen 59 miles.
The village of Braemar in Royal Deeside sits amongst some of the most beautiful scenery Scotland has to offer. Nestling in the River Dee valley within the Cairngorms National Park, Braemar and the area around it are a treasure trove for the outdoor enthusiast, boasting 24 Munros, the highest 18-hole golf course in the country and close proximity to the Glenshee Ski Centre. The village offers plentiful opportunities for relaxation as well in the many cafes, shops and restaurants. The famous Highland Gathering in September, a favourite of Queen Elizabeth, is a spectacular feast of highland games, music and dancing. Inverness, Aberdeen and Perth are a great day out, are accessed through great scenery, and are well worth a visit. Royal Deeside boasts many rare wildlife and plant species such as capercaillie, roe deer, red squirrels and golden eagles. With Braemar and Balmoral Castles and the Royal Lochnagar Distillery in this area, there is indeed something for everyone in this delightful part of Scotland.